Total Pageviews

Friday 29 March 2013

You've got the whole world...

In your hands. You've got the whole wide world - in your hand wash :) (that's right - sing it with me)
I have currently made my own hand soap - successfully! This way I avoid harsh ingredients that get washed down the drain into our waterways, I limit my own skin exposure to chemicals that absorb and stay in my system (who wants to disrupt their hormones with phthalates), AND I save money by not shelling out for designer scents or labels. Finally - what started me thinking about creating my own soap in the first place - I limit my consumption of single use plastic. Each time I bought liquid soap in a pump to sit by one of the four sinks in my house, I used resources to create virgin plastic for the container. Also - even though the main part of the container was recyclable (though that takes energy as well) - the pump part gets tossed every time (too many plastics to separate for the blue bin program). So here is my recipe for you all to enjoy. I based it on one featured in Adria Vasil's book "Ecoholic Body" but had to adjust the measurements to get the right consistency.
1. Boil 2 Liters of water in a large pot on the stove. Turn heat off.
2. Grate a bar of gylcerine soap and add to the water. Stir until completely dissolved. *Try to look for a bar that is ethically sourced. I have been reading some terrible things about palm oil and how crops in Malaysia and Indonesia are growing at a crazy rate and are causing deforestation of tropical forest - home to many endangered species as well as part of the lungs of the world. If you want to learn more - check out this organization: Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil.
3. Add organic essential oils of your choice. I added a lot of lemon oil because I like fresh over flowery scents. Then let sit for a day. If consistency is too solid for you (the soap congeals) you can add more water with heat to make it runnier.
4. Warm slightly to scoop into a measuring cup with a spout and use a funnel to pour it into your reusable dispenser. Ta da! You're done! This recipe makes enough for 4 or more dispensers.

No comments:

Post a Comment