Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 December 2012

Go ahead - bake my bread

One thing I am striving to declare war on is plastic consumption. It's everywhere! So - every little reduction helps right? Every time I buy a loaf of bread or six-pack of bagels at the grocery store - I consume another cheap plastic bag that may be able to be re-used once or twice, but is not accepted in my recycling bin. Also - have you ever read the ingredients on a loaf of bread? The chemicals for preservation make me squirm.
SO - I am trying to bake my own bread whenever possible. I have a great breadmaker and have figured out the timer so I can wake up or come home to the awesome smell of baked bread any day. BONUS - no preserving chemicals, it's cheaper loaf for loaf, AND I can sneak in those veggies once I understand the balence of a recipe.

Now I'm not obsessed with parsnips - really I'm not - but I have so much mash (see two posts ago) that I'm putting it in everything. Here's my recipe for Sweet Parsnip Bread:

SWEET PARSNIP BREAD

Put all ingredients in this order into your breadmaker
1. 1/2 cup water
2. 1 cup mashed cooked parsnips
3. 1 egg
4. 1/4 cup skim milk powder
5. 1 1/2 tsp salt
6. 3 tbsp. brown sugar
7. 2 tbsp. oil
8. 3 1/2 cups flour
9. 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
10. 1 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

Set machine to Sweet Cycle for a 2lb. loaf. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment